There has been a Church on this site in West Hunstpill in Somerset for several
hundred years. Once it was right in the heart of the village, both figuratively and
geographically. Today, it stands at the western edge of the village in its beautiful and
tranquil churchyard bounded by fields.
The Church is Grade 1 listed but urgently needs repairs to secure the future of the building.
The Parochial Church Council (PCC) have recently received a development grant from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, but this is just the beginning of their project and further funding will be required to compete the necessary work.
If the Church is to survive for future generations to enjoy, the wider community needs to support the PCC in their efforts.
Follow this link to see the Church's webiste and more information about its work:
There is evidence that people lived in the area in the Neolithic, Bronze and Iron ages and there were Roman settlements at Alstone and Highbridge.
In 787AD, , the "Manor of Honespulle" is mentioned in a deed granting the lands of the manor and five hides of land to the Abbey at Glastonbury. A hide was a unit of land measurement representing the amount of land sufficient to support a household. It is usually taken to be about 120 acres, so it would have been a substantial household.
This land remained in the hands of Glastonbury Abbey until it just after the Norman conquest when it was listed in the Domesday Book as part of the extensive lands granted by WIlliam the Conquerer to Walter de Douai, probably for his support in subjugating the south west of England.
There may have been a church in Saxon times but its exact location is not known. The current church is thought to date from the late 13th century and a list of Rectors from that time to the present day can be seen on the north wall of the Nave.
The earliest part of the church, the Nave, dates from the late 13th or early 14th century and the church was added to over the next 200 years.
In 1878, the church was extensively renovated but just months later, the interior woodwork and roof were destroyed by fire. A picture of the church without its roof is displayed in the church. The heat of the blaze turned the Ham Stone pillars to the red that is seen today. The church was restored in just two years in the same style as before the fire at s cost of £4000 and reopened in 1880.
More detail on the history and features of the church can be found in the booklet available inside the church.
West Huntspill is a village on the edge of the Somerset Levels near the estuary of the River Parrett. It lies about 2 kilometres south of Highbridge and x north of Bridgwater. It is surrounded by the Quantock Hills to the west, the Polden Hills to the south and the Mendips to the North.
Historically this was principally a farming community. There are still farms in and around the village, mostly raising cattle and sheep, but this is no longer the main focus of the population.
Today, it is a convenient location for commuters who have easy access to the nearby M5 to both the North and South via the A38 which bisects the village and to the railway stations at both Highbridge and Bridgwater.
Once, there were shops in the village, a garage and post office/general store as well as a surprisingly large number of hostelries. Now, the garage and shops have disappeared, but thankfully we are still served by some excellent pubs, including the Crossways Inn which was voted CAMRA Somerset Pub of the Year 2019.
Other village resources include the West Huntspill Community Primary School, the Methodist Church, the Church of St Peter & All Hallows and the Balliol Hall.